new to redhat

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Nov 18 17:11:14 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 09:29 PM, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 05:51:01AM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> On 11/17/2010 10:58 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> MP3 support isn't inherent in Fedora or Red Hat due to patent licensing
>>> issues.  You have to install some plugins.  As the root user:
>>>
>>>     # yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>>>     # yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3
>>>
>>> The first is for Rhythmbox or Totem (gstreamer) players (which is
>>> what installs by default).  The second is if you use the Audacious
>>> player.
>> Good day,
>>
>> According to yum above packages does not excist.
>>
>> Say  "nothing do do"
>>
>> johan]# yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
>> Adding en_US to language list
>> Setting up Install Process
>> No package gstreamer-plugins-ugly available.
>> Error: Nothing to do
>>
>> johan]# yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3
>> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
>> Adding en_US to language list
>> Setting up Install Process
>> No package audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3 available.
>> Error: Nothing to do
>>
>> Maybe it needs more info?
>
> Needs another repo.  Sorry, it's not set up out of the box.  Go here
> <http://rpmfusion.org/>  and click on the link "For users: Enable RPM
> Fusion on your system."  You will be given directions that will add
> the RPMFusion repos to your system.  Then the above yum commands will
> work.

Nice catch, Bob.  Yeah, I forgot about enabling rpmfusion.  I do it so
often I forget that others don't necessarily know about it.

See, Johan?  We Fedora Folk are friendly sods.  And we make mistakes,
too.  Some more than others (jabbing a thumb at myself). :-)
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -