This is just amazing...

blann blann at gte.net
Fri Sep 3 20:58:36 UTC 2010

If I may change the subject and, as usual ask for help (and thanks for past
 Many moons back I must have damaged my MBR (winXP,FC6). A helpful member
sent a cd with ubuntu , and now there is a boot choice(grub) between that OS
and  XP.

I am trying to see if I can restore the grub loader to get into my old FC
installation which is likely
still on my HD. I have tried my disk1 from  FC6 to do a reinstall, it
seems to go thru motions,
but a revised grub loader does not come up- even tho I get a message during
install
that boot loader is being installed- and an installation complete msg.

Is there a way to repair or replace what I am assuming is a damaged mbr/grub
loader due to having
turned off a hung up XP with AC button?

I have, via generosity of an active member of the group, an FC12 set of
install disks; have hesitated
running this for fear I would overwrite /home directory, whereas the FC
Bible advises that simple
re-install of FC6 should not do this.
  Any comments greatly appreciated! Thanks- Marshall