License for building a custom product using fedora

Ronald Mccarty mccarty at yournetguard.com
Tue Jan 11 15:20:15 UTC 2011

Shibu,

At a high level you'll need to remove the Fedora logos and ensure each package you are using permits redistribution.  Most of the GNU stuff will be fine...it gets dicey around some drivers.

Here's the license:  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/LicenseAgreement14

My 2 cents on the subject is if you're going to use one of the "full" distros, you are much better using an "additive" approach when using them, i.e., include the full distro to meet their licensing, and then add your software in a clearly defined way to keep the two sepearte--if someone asks you for the "free" stuff, you point them to a distro or provide it with the system.  There are smaller, tighter, functional distros, those are not w/o challenges though, as you're likely wanting a pretty good repository to stay up with some patching.

--ron

On Jan 11, 2011, at 7:42 AM, ShibuThomas wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Can anyone clarify my following concern on fedora 14?
>
> Following are the steps we are planning to do with Fedora 14.
>
> Please let us know if any of the steps mentioned below cost customer(Say Company 'A') to pay Fedora 14.
>
> 1. Dowload Fedora 14  source code
> 2. Install the same  in a Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop
> 3. Customize the source code of Fedora 14
>       This step includes:
>           a) Removal of unwanted packages (from product point of view) of  Fedora 14
>                    Example: X11, some bin utils etc.
>           b) Change the configuration of the Linux kernel
>                       Please note: Not the source code modification
>           c) Add product specific custom drivers
> 4. Compile the customized source code to create an image(Kernel + product specific application) .
> 5. Flash this image to N number of devices
> 6. Sell these devices to the world wide consumers
>
> Following are our concerns in using Fedora 14  server for the product:
> 1) Whether Company 'A' would need a license to redistribute the above mentioned image inside a device?
>   1.1) What is cost of license in case a license fee exists?
>   1.2)  If license fee exists, whether it will vary according to the number of standard packages of Fedora 14 incorporated in this image?
> 2) Whether there would be  any royalty per shipped system that incorporates this image ?
>    2.1) If royalty exists, which assets owned by Fedora 14 is causing it.
>    Example: Kernel patches developed by Fedora 14, Supporting packages etc.
>
> Regards,
> ShibuThomas

--ron
--