Getting into RedHat (yet another subject change)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jul 13 17:58:42 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 10:33 AM, Nikhil Sinha wrote:
> I am trying to get into Redhat, to work with, in fact to start with. Is this wrong place to post?

Ok, we have issues here, which is precisely why you do NOT reply to a
message digest.  I mistook your reply to the digest as an errant reply
to another thread regarding one person's attempt to remove a driver from
their kernel.  Ok, that's on my head.

You were trying to start a new thread that had nothing to do with the
digest.  To start a new thread, you must write a NEW message with an
appropriate subject line and send it to

	redhat-install-list at redhat.com

You should NOT have replied to an existing message or thread.  That
breaks the threading nature of messages.  New messages start threads
(a thread being a series of messages related to a specific subject),
replies add to existing threads.  This is true for any mailing list and
not just this one.  Hope that's clear.

Now as to is this the right place?  The purpose of this list is
primarily to help people get RedHat and its derivatives (such as
CentOS) installed and working on their machines properly.  It's not
really meant to be a general Linux beginner's "How do I do this?"
thing.  There are probably better lists for that.

We can try to help when we can, but remember that the vast majority of
contributors to this list (and, in fact, most of RedHat's lists) are
NOT RedHat employees.  We're end users, system administrators and
general volunteers who got help this way and are "paying it forward."

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -