Re: /var/log/messages etc. not rotated

Toralf Lund wrote:

I suddenly realised that /var/log/messages and some related logs are never rotated on one of our Red Hat Linux 9 setups. The relevant lines from 'logrotate -d' are included below. As far as I can tell from these messages, the files should be correctly setup for weekly rotation, but I have no /var/log/messages.1, /var/log/messages.2 etc., and similar for the other logs. Any ideas why?

rotating pattern: /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/boot.log /var/log/cron weekly (4 rotations)
empty log files are rotated, old logs are removed
considering log /var/log/messages
log does not need rotating
considering log /var/log/secure
log does not need rotating
considering log /var/log/maillog
log does not need rotating
considering log /var/log/spooler
log does not need rotating
considering log /var/log/boot.log
log does not need rotating
considering log /var/log/cron
log does not need rotating
not running shared postrotate script, since no logs were rotated

Check for restrictions on rotating (on size). If filesize<size they won't be rotated