System freezes

Thomas Fortner thomas.fortner at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 2 10:40:55 UTC 2004

Hi, I'm new here.  I just installed Redhat Linux 9 on my workstation,
with all the packages installed.  The computer is running dual AMD MP
2800s, with 512 MB of RAM.  I installed it fine, but when I started
using it more, I noticed that the X server would freeze, and I wouldn't
be able to move the mouse, or use the keyboard; I just had to shut off
the power.  I ran the update manager, and it installed the 2.4.30-9smp
kernel, which helped at first, but still doesn't make much of a
difference.  Now it seems like every other time I boot up the comp
freezes upon starting Mozilla, Ximian, or just playing some songs with
XMMS.  Is this just an issue with the X server version (4.3.0)?
Sometimes just Mozilla crashes, and I can simply kill the process.  But
often I have to reboot.

Thanks for any insight.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I suspect that you will find you have a bad system board. I've seen this
kind of problem before and that has always been what was causing the
problem.

I've built dual processor systems and run Red Hat on them before,
although I haven't used AMD, and they ran well. One thing to watch,
though, is that the kernel doesn't handle multiple SCSI adapters with
hard drives well. If you have hard drives on more than one SCSI card,
try removing the second adapter and see if the problem goes away.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner at sbcglobal.net
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23