RedHat Advanced server and Reiser filesystem 3.6x

u235sentinel at comcast.net u235sentinel at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 13:56:54 UTC 2004

I've run into a curious problem using the Reiser File system.  Basically I was taring files on one system and pushing them to another (my RH/Reiser system) over ssh.  I've done this a bunch of times on many other systems.  I'm running the latest kernel (2.4.x) and have noticed a peculiar problem.

Sometimes the process on my troubled system seems to 'hang'. I would try to kill it even with a -9 and it will ignore me (how rude!).  Even reboot would be ignored.  I have to physically power off the system to get it back.

Anyone else run into similar strangeness with Reiserfs?

I did speak with a few guys in that mail list.  Apparently they think it's  linux problem so I'm here.  Personally I think they are on drugs.  RH works great with ext2 and 3 (I've tested the same process on these filesystems).  I believe it's a problem with reiserfs itself.

BTW, the filecopy was around 30 Gigs (anticipated).

Thx