3Com U.S. Robotics 56k Message Modem (External) - Newbie question

Chris Wilson rhn_list at yepher.com
Tue Apr 13 22:41:03 UTC 2004

I am not sure what the ppp0 error 8 is. And tt has been several years
since I used a modem but the switches should be set to 1,3,5 down and
the rest up. (1) DTR flow control, (3) Display Result Codes, (4) Auto
Answer (also can be overriden with ATS0=<Number of Rings> or 0 for off.

I would try to talk to the modem directly through "minicom -s". You will
need to tell it which port you are on.

Once minicom is running try typing the following: "AT&F1E1&W". That
should set the mode to factory default and store it in it's first NVRAM
location. You should get an "OK" back. If you don't get an OK try to
type "AT" and see if you get an OK. You should also see the "TR" and
"RD" lights flash. If any of this does not happen there maybe a physical
problem.

If you get an OK then the problem is probably in your PPP setup.

-- Chris