grep file

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Wed Apr 14 13:26:53 UTC 2004

At 08:10 AM 4/14/2004, you wrote:
>Not sure what mailing list I need to join to ask this question, so I will
>ask it here in the hopes of getting a good response.  I am trying to get a
>specific line out of a file that changes size regularly using a shell
>script (#!/bin/sh).  I use the following command:
>/bin/cat $BACKUPLOG|grep "Downloaded: ">>$BACKUPLOG'2'
>Of course $BACKUPLOG and $BACKUPLOG'2' refer to a couple of files.  For
>some reason, it will pull out lines that are NOT part of the line that has
>"Downloaded: " in it.  The other lines do have the word "Downloaded" in
>them, but not the colon and space after it.  I was wondering if it would
>be easier to tell it just to cat the 2nd line from the end of the
>file.  That is where the line is always at.  Problem is, I do not know how
>to do this.  I hope that someone has an idea on this and would be kind
>enough to send me the correction.

Ok, I found out how to do this.  After emailing the question, I had an
idea.  What about using "/usr/bin/tail --lines=3".  Well, that worked just
fine.  Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.  I haven't
gotten any replies yet from anybody, but I'll bet this is what everybody
will tell me.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but Thanks to everybody who might still reply
to this.

Steve