How to setup smtp auth

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Apr 17 19:33:26 UTC 2004

At 11:28 4/16/2004, you wrote:
>On Friday 16 April 2004 11:45 am, Chris Mason wrote:
> > That works, thanks, but now I find the email client is trying to use
> > CAM-MD5. I don't know how to activate that.
>
>I assume that's a typo and you meant CRAM-MD5. Did you have the following
>lines in sendmail.mc:
>
>TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
>PLAIN')

Having those lines *allows* Sendmail to offer any of those AUTH mechanisms,
if they are available and operational. If SASL and TLS have not been
properly set up, though, then no encrypted mechs are available to Sendmail
and if offers (and accepts) only PLAIN and LOGIN.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com