Linux amongst Sun

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 03:09:11 UTC 2004

I have a problem in accessing Internet.
I have an Intel machine, running Linux, amongst 20
sparc machines running solaris.
The IP address of my machine is 192.168.1.105. As
mentioned earlier there are
number of other machines, they are all sparc. A sparc
machine, IP address 192.168.1.104 can access Internet.
But my machine (Linux) cannot access Internet.
When I run browser on my machine, it keeps thinking
and thinking and then gives a timeed out message.

Whole of this subnet is accessing Internet through a
Proxy Server (192.168.1.9). We are running Windows
Proxy Server.
I checked up routing table of Sparc. It no where
mentiones about the defaul route.
On Linux machine, I have given it default route with
gateway as 192.168.1.9.

My own idea(wild) is that may be, Proxy server is
configured to store certain hardware address and since
my Linux machine hardware address is not in its list,
threfore, it is not allowing it access.

Any ideas, how to access Internet through my machine.
I am using Redhat 8.0.