Samba - DOS Short Filenames

Peter Ison pison at martlets.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 12:17:01 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have common files served from Enterprise Server using Samba. The client is
Windows 98. There are no problems with long filenames.

I get the following when creating new shared files on the Windows Client:

Long filename ; DOS short name ; Expected short name
test ; test ; test
test1 ; test1 ; test1
etc.
test1111 ; test1111 ; test1111
test11112222 ; T39VQJ~9 ; test11~2
test11113333 ; T3M29T~D ; test11~3

Filenames up to and including 8 characters have the same shortname, and for
names greater than 8 fairly random names are generated.

Is there a switch to change the way short names are created, so that, for names
greater than 8, at least the first six characters are the same as the long name.
That is what I have become used to with Windows.

Peter Ison