winmodem

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 23 05:46:48 UTC 2004

adelpfe at yahoo.fr wrote:

> hi list
> I need help.
> I have a winmodem fsp 56 k (Internal).
> I have download driver (pctel .0.9.7-9)
> I succeed to luch the modules (insmod)
> when calling minicom , I got a message saying (initializing modem). then
> minicom
> blocks (i have tried all keys , it does not answer).
> when calling vwdialconf , it doest not detect the modem.
> have I forgot any thing to do???
> help me please!!!!!!
> (outputs)
> ///////////////////// charging modules /////////////////////////
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/pctel.o
> Warning: The module you are trying to load
> (/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/pctel.o)
> is compiled with a gccversion 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running
> is
> compiled witha gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

You may want to grab the correct drivers to suit your kernel. Posting to
this list when your own posted error message says that it is known not
to work in the configuration you have is pointless.

Either grab the right driver to suit your kernel/distribution or grab
the driver sources and compile them manually on your system.

Also, I know I sound like a broken record every time I say this, but I
still say fork out for an external serial modem. Soft modems bite the
big one and should be un-invented.

Regards,
Ed.