drive upgrade issue

Richard F. Hobson linux at rhobson.com
Sat Apr 24 17:56:59 UTC 2004

Thanks to those who responded to my issue of cloning my RH9 installation
on a new larger drive using drive image 2002.   The comments were
correct- the partitions were copied correctly but the MBR was wrong.  I
ran RH install in rescue mode, it rewrote the MBR and reinstalled GRUB
and everything works fine, with one small exception.

I ran up2date and installed the latest kernel  (2.4.20-31.9).  I
reinstalled my nvidia video driver  and recompiled the kernel interface
(as I have to do with every kernel update).  The driver runs OK under X,
however, I cannot get it to display above 800x600.  I was running it at
1536x864 before, I have checked X86Config and even added the higher
resolution in the screen section.   Under X the display applet says
1536x864, however, the resolution is actually 800x600.  Has anybody else
encountered this?  I will of course check for a newer driver, but my
guess is this is related to the migration to the new drive and not just
the new kernel.  (the problem first appeared after the drive migration
but before the kernel update)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Rich.