new to list / network eth0 issue

Johnson, Shaunn SJohnson6 at bcbsm.com
Wed Apr 28 18:34:54 UTC 2004

Howdy:

Brand new to the list, hope to learn and help as much
as I can.

I installed RHEL ES 3.0 on an Intel box.  The install went
smoothly and I am at the point where I can do just about
all I need.  I want to ping an Windows 2000 server but
I get "Destination Host Unreachable".  I try to ping the
Linux box, but get 'Request timed out'.

I am able to ping all other machines from other domains but
the Linux and Windows server aren't talking to each other.

The IS / network team suggested that because the network is doing
100T full-duplex, the servers may not talk to each other
(It is my understanding that the network auto negotiates, but
that's another story) and I need to configure my eth0 card
to do 100 Full instead of 100 Half Duplex (the messages
file confirms that I am doing 100 Half Dup on the Linux box).

Is it possible to force the eth0 card to do 100 Full on a
auto negotiating network like the Windows box?  If so, how?

Thanks!

-X