sendmail without using isp

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Apr 29 00:09:59 UTC 2004

At 17:32 4/28/2004, you wrote:
>is it possible to configure sendmail to deliver mails without
>passsing by isp. the problem is that our isp does not allow
>sending mail from yahoo adresses (for example).

This is sendmail's default behavior. Set up your mail client to use
"localhost" as the outgoing SMTP server, and sendmail will check DNS, find
the MX record, then send the email directly to the recipient's designated
mail server without bothering your ISP. Of course, you can also use the
"smarthost" directive to send everything through your ISP. And you could
even use www.dyndns.org to set up a dynamic DNS name for your computer so
you can receive mail directly.

Then, all you need is to open your firewall to allow tcp/25 incoming
connections, then go to http://www.simpaticus.com/linux (shameless plug)
and look for the "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO". Once you follow the
instructions in that document, you can safely relay mail through your
server and you can then get rid of your Yahoo! account altogether.

Linux is _very_ flexible.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com