Support for CD-RW drives...

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Apr 30 23:36:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:58:09AM -0400, Ken Morley wrote:
> I plan to setup a Red Hat Enterprise ES3 server and use a CD-RW drive for
> occasional backup.  I'm trying to be very thorough before I order
> equipment...
>
> Are most IDE/ATAPI CD-RW drives directly supported for writing by RH ES3 or
> is something special required?  If they are not universally supported for
> writing, can anyone recommend a specific drive that works or is available
> wih drivers, etc.?

Pretty much every ATAPI CD-RW drive should be supported. If you have the
drive in the box when you install the OS, it will (or at least did for
me) notice it there and do the right configurations for you. If you add
it later you may need to tweak /etc/grub.conf to make it work, by adding
"hdc=ide-scsi" to the end of the kernel line for the kernel that boots.
Change "hdc" to be wherever you driver is actually attached.