PVM and .Xauthority

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Apr 1 04:44:58 UTC 2004

I'm trying to set up several RedHat EL WS machines to use PVM.  All
users who log onto the machines have their home directories mounted from
an NFS share.

I've set up the ssh-agent to allow me to log in from one machine to
another without prompting for passwords, and all works well.

Now, when I run pvm and try to add a host, it attempts to connect and I
get the error:

Rsh/Rhosts Access FAILED - "Warning: No xauth data; using fake
authentication data for X11 forwarding"

Is this because I have X11 forwarding turned on by default, or is it
something else?  I never got this error before when using ssh until now.
If I delete the .Xauthority file and log in again, it gets created and
the error goes away.  This only happens when I try to use pvm.  Any
ideas?

-----
Ryan Golhar
Computational Biologist
The Informatics Institute at
The University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ

Phone: 973-972-5034
Fax: 973-972-7412
Email: golharam at umdnj.edu