(OT) Mail got blocked because of SORBS/DYNABLOCK

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Apr 1 13:04:21 UTC 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 07:47 am, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 07:24:09AM -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > So, regardless of what SMTP server he uses, he will still be tagged by
> > the rule ? Well, that's not very nice of SA.
>
> What he should be doing is sending his e-mail through his ISP's mail
> server as I pointed out in an earlier response.

OK, I'll tell him that. But . . .

> That e-mail will be
> accepted by the ISP, and if it's then forwarded to your mail server, you
> won't trigger the rule because you received the e-mail from the ISP, not
> from the original sender.
> The rule only gets triggered based on the SMTP server you received the
> e-mail from, not from every SMTP server along the way.

I still don't understand this quite well. The account that trigger the rule
received the mail from my SMTP server.
I believe this is what happening to the mail relaying:

a --> B ---> C --- d

a = my friend home computer, MS Outlook client, set up to use B's domain name
as his SMTP server
B = mail server that *I own*. SMTP relay only with authentication. No SA, just
relay.
C = Another mail server, has SA in it, the one whose rules is triggered
d = my IMAP account in C's mail server

Now, my friend sent email to my d address, from his a computer. But he's using
B as his SMTP server. So from C's point of view, mail is coming/relayed from
B. B has static IP address, and as far as I can tell, not in any RBL.
When I check my email in my d address, I see that C has tagged my friend
email.
Why would C care if the mail coming from a, and tag it? It should only see
that the mail came from B, and not tag it.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja