(OT) Mail got blocked because of SORBS/DYNABLOCK

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Thu Apr 1 14:08:07 UTC 2004

snip...
> I still don't understand this quite well. The account that trigger the
> rule
> received the mail from my SMTP server.
> I believe this is what happening to the mail relaying:
>
> a --> B ---> C --- d
>
> a = my friend home computer, MS Outlook client, set up to use B's domain
> name
> as his SMTP server
> B = mail server that *I own*. SMTP relay only with authentication. No SA,
> just
> relay.
> C = Another mail server, has SA in it, the one whose rules is triggered
> d = my IMAP account in C's mail server
>
> Now, my friend sent email to my d address, from his a computer. But he's
> using
> B as his SMTP server. So from C's point of view, mail is coming/relayed
> from
> B. B has static IP address, and as far as I can tell, not in any RBL.
> When I check my email in my d address, I see that C has tagged my friend
> email.
> Why would C care if the mail coming from a, and tag it? It should only see
> that the mail came from B, and not tag it.
>
> Thanks a lot for all the help.
>
> RDB

The entire point of the rule is to prevent A from sending mail directly
from his system.  No one cares what servers the mail passes through after
it leaves user A's box.

This rule has become popular for a couple of reasons:

1. many of the folks using cable and DSL modems in dhcp blocks have
misconfigured their servers and are causing grief...often to their ISP's
other users.

2. many of the ISP's owning these ip blocks have end user agreements
prohibiting their customers from running servers.  These ISP's sometimes
charge for hosting and want to prevent competition from their own users.

As Ed pointed out, if user A relays through his ISP's email server then
the rule will not be triggered.  I have to do exactly this to avoid
triggering the rule at the receiving end.  Besides, my ISP is rather anal
about servers on his network.

Gerry