help with iptables and letting snmp packets through (3rd request)

Norman Elton wnelto at net.wm.edu
Thu Apr 1 21:24:53 UTC 2004

This is the critical line:

-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT

This allows any requests to the local SNMP daemon, which should be
running on 161. If you're making SNMP requests; however, this line
means nothing. When you make a request, the request will go to port 161
on the destination end, but the local end will be random. The easiest
way to fix this is to use the following line instead:

-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

This allows any packets in that are related to an existing connection.
Once you make the request, the host will allow the response back in.
Also, I doubt you need the TCP line, or the line for port 162. You'd
only need TCP for weird devices, and 162 if you're dealing with SNMP
traps.

Hope this helps.

Norman

Norman Elton