Fwd: Please confirm your email for brent at mailstation.us

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Apr 1 17:58:08 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 1, Gary Stainburn did say:

> On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:12 am, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Seams like a lose/lose situation, either the list's contributors get
> > pummeled with these very annoying "http://www.MailStation.US" links. OR
> > "http://www.MailStation.US" users have to give up on an easy anti-spam
> > solution.
>
> There are two problems here.  Firstly, I use reply-to-all, because on most
> mailing lists, that's the easiest way to ensure that my reply gets back to
> the list.  However, this means that an email also gets back direct to the
> original author - with this direct post being the possible cause.  I've
> noticed that this list actually changes the reply-to to include the list
> address.

Well when you reply to "all" you might expect to get hit with this kind of
thing. But if the list itself wasn't triggering it when it resends
your posting to the members, you could figure that the MailStation user
would at least get the lists copy...

However when I posted to this subject I was VERY careful to ONLY send it
to the list itself, And I got one of those annoying email address confirmation
requests...

> Secondly, MailStation presumably isn't clever enough to check other headers,
> such as List-Id, or reply-to.  If it checked the reply-to alone, it would
> allow the messages through.

Yeah, I'm thinking you have the real problem pegged. Though I suspect
that even if MailStation was smart enough, this "brent at mailstation.us"
would most likely still have to manually add the list to the whitelist.

<sigh>

> > Unless of course there is a simple compromise... Steve says the problem
> > is that the "From:" header line doesn't indicate the redhat list?
> > Might I suggest that those list users who wish yo use that kind of
> > spamblocking subscribe instead to the "Digest" version. Then the actual
> > "From:" header would say "redhat-list-request at redhat.com" with
> > individual subjects embedded in the attachments. If a list user can't do
> > without such an inane form of spam protection on the mailbox used to
> > subscribe, then I think it's only common courtesy for them to subscribe
> > to the version that can be programed into their white list.
> >
> > Wouldn't that solve the problem? Err of course that is IF and only IF
> > you can get the "http://www.MailStation.US" users to settle for the
> > digest...
> >
> > Granted the "Digest" may take a little getting used to for some. And it
> > might be that some mail clients make it difficult to work with. But I
> > can say it's no problem with pine. I simply index an attachment from
> > the attachment list. IE: this time I selected a line that said:
> > ' Message, "Re: Fwd: Please confirm your email for'
> > Then selected the view function. Since I started the reply while viewing
> > the message pine took care of the subject line for me and initially
> > quoted only the one attachment's content... So I'm inclined to think the
> > better gui mail clients should handle the digest well enough.
> >
> > It's just an idea...
>
> Unfortunately, not every mail client's as good as pine.

Of course not. After all pine is simply the "best" mail client. <chuckle>
I'm especially fond of it's letting me choose vim to compose with... I
haven't found the editor's attached to most gui mail clients nearly so
user friendly. <grin> Though I suppose it's possible that some of them
may let me select an alternate editor?

> I still think the best but most unlikely solution is to get MailStation to
> have more intelligent filters, but until then I'm simply going to send any
> posts from them straight into the bit-bucket.

I hear you. Actually I'm almost sorry it's a "ONE TIME" thing. I wanted
to make sure this "brent at mailstation.us" got the message so I did click
on his confirmation link. But actually I'd be happier if he _HAD_ to fix it
to get any further postings from me. In fact I almost spent the time to
resend it to him from my "junk" mail15 account instead. That way I could
have confirmed that address to his whitelist and be sure that he would
have to fix the problem if he wanted to get anything else I'd ever post
to the list... But in the end I decided it would be to much bother...