Migration question

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Apr 3 22:12:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 04:08:14PM -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> also can't afford Red Hat Enterprise - the lowest price I saw for
> Enterprise was over a hundred dollars ($179?).  I can't afford that.  I
> make $600 a month, and that's barely enough to live on.  The US economy
> is horrible; there are no jobs.  Is there a free version of Red Hat
> Enterprise?  What are my options?

You've got several options.  First, there's Red Hat Professional
Workstation.  It retails for about $85 and includes a full year of RHN
for updates.  It's technically the same as Red Hat Enterprise WS and has
the 5+ year lifespan.

There are also free versions of RHEL.  Tao Linux and White Box Linux
both take the freely available source RPMS from Red Hat, remove the
trademarked pieces, recompile them, and make the binaries available.
Neither come with any support.  Updates are available whenever somebody
gets around to doing what they need to do with a srpm after Red Hat
puts the srpms online.  You'll be a bit behind Red Hat, but probably not
much.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org