AS 2.1 did not execute cron job on 2:10 A.M. SUNDAy ???

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Apr 5 21:26:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 01:47, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 05:10:12PM +0000, bbaa aaa wrote:
> > Thanks.  But I don't think it is bug on SUN, the reason is SUN and HP-UX
> > both work correctly on 2:30 A.M.
>
> So both Solaris and HP-UX are broken.  There is no 2:30 AM, so what time
> did the cron jobs actually run?  At 3am (the first increment past 2am),
> 3:30 am (half-hour after 2am), or 1:30am (half-hour before 3am)?

Sorry to burst you bubble....

>From the man page of HP/UX cron....

Notes
      On the days of daylight savings (summer) time transition (in time
      zones and countries where daylight savings time applies), cron
      schedules commands differently than normal.

      In the following description, an ambiguous time refers to an hour and
      minute that occurs twice in the same day because of a daylight savings
      time transition (usually on a day during the Autumn season).  A non-
      existent time refers to an hour and minute that does not occur because
      of a daylight savings time transition (usually on a day during the
      Spring season).  DST-shift refers to the offset that is applied to
      standard time to result in daylight savings time.  This is normally
      one hour, but can be any combination of hours and minutes up to 23
      hours and 59 minutes (see tztab(4)).

      When a command is specified to run at an ambiguous time, the command
      is executed only once at the first occurrence of the ambiguous time.

      When a command is specified to run a non-existent time, the command is
      executed after the specified time by an amount of time equal to the
      DST-shift. When such an adjustment would conflict with another time
      specified to run the command, the command is run only once rather than
      running the command twice at the same time.

      For commands that are scheduled to run during all hours by specifying
      a * in the hour field of the crontab entry, the command is scheduled
      without any adjustment.

So, HP/UX (as well as Solaris) are not "broken".  They are designed to work that way.
Kind of like getting up in the middle of the night to take a leak.  Just because you
"normally" do it at 2AM doesn't mean you skip it when DST happens.  :-)

Regards,
Ed

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.