Moving into Linux Enterprise- Doubts/questions

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Apr 6 20:31:08 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 03:49 pm, María Viola Deambrosis wrote:
<snip>
>   a.. moving from a Professional into an Enterprise version, is it just an
> upgrade or it requires a  "re-installation"

I believe you'll need to reinstall. Upgrade path is not supported.

> b.. how long will it take to do
> the job
Depends on what you need done during the install of course, and how big is
your luck. I've done install that took 1-2 hours, had no problem, everything
just works, up to install that took couple days of customizing things, or
things that just won't work correctly.

>   c.. do you have any contingency plan or strategy to suggest

Always, Always, use development server first. Try everything there, if it
works the way you want it, then you can either just use that as the
production server permanently, or switch that as production server while you
redo what you did in the development server to the real production server.

Never ever just take down a production server and do re-install on it. If
things go wrong (and they almost always do), you can be offline for a while,
and that may be a Bad Thing (tm) for your company.

>   d.. is there any guaranty of full compatibility between both versions?
> Thanks for your assistance

No, there is not.

RDB

--