Professional RedHat 7.3 DBase Server randomly gets blocked

María Viola Deambrosis mviola at anda.com.uy
Wed Apr 7 12:11:32 UTC 2004

We have a production Database Server, with a professional Red Hat O.S installed.    From Nov03 up to now, on regular basis,  the server randomly gets blocked up to now on "Ontape", "Tar" , "dbaccess" & "Update Statistics" commands.

Observations

    ==>  The server does not hung-up since we can ping  it.  But the only way to get response from the command line is by rebooting the machine.

    ==>  This server is on production since July 2002 without giving any problems

    ==>   The only difference from that time up to now can be more data in data base

Steps followed:

    ==> We got a full new-hardware from the HW provider, except for the disks, thinking it was a hardware problem

    ===> The backup tape-unit SCSI controller got changed (Adaptec 39160)

    ==> BIOS upgrade from ver A09 to verA20

    ==> ESM Firmware upgrade from 1.68 to 1.56

    ==> Informix is giving full support and doing research. They keep suggesting there is an O.S issue

    ==> we have not research on the O.S

Information about the server:

        DELL Power Edge 2600  ***         Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.30.UC3 ***

    Red Hat 7.3  ***  Kernel: Linux 2.4.18-3smp / Apr 18 07:27:31 2002 i686   ***    Glib: 2.2.5-34 ***  File System type:  Raiserfs

      2 HD - 18 Gb each - Raid 0 for O.S  ****     3 HD - 36 G b each - Raid 5 for one instance of DB

                                                                         3 HD - 36 G b each - Raid 5 for one instance of another instance of DB

ANY SUGGESTIONS or IDEAS what the problem can be?

María Viola Deambrosis
A.N.D.A
Director  de Informática
e-mail: mviola at anda.com.uy