WinXP & RedHat co-existence nightmare.

Jason Staudenmayer jasons at NJAQUARIUM.ORG
Wed Apr 7 13:51:18 UTC 2004

get a DOS boot disk with format.exe on it. I use a WIN98 cd. Then boot to a
DOS prompt and run 'fdisk /mbr c:'
that will format the master boot record then re-install winxp
-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Tyler [mailto:dtyler at frazerbilt.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 9:48 AM
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: WinXP & RedHat co-existence nightmare.

Hi,

I tried to install RedHat on a separate hard drive on my machine, and use
the Grub loader to choose between Windows and Linux, but it completely
screwed up WinXP and it wouldn't boot no matter what I did.

I had to reinstall windows, but the only disk I had was a restore CD (Not
the original OS CD). I did that and it seemed to fix the problem, but now
WinXP is taking literally hours to install anything.

I have decided to temprorily remove RedHat from the computer. But I can seem
to get rid of the Grub loader. I have removed the second hard drive that
Linux is on, and I have re-partitioned and formatted the primary hard drive
that the Grub loader and windows XP is on. But when I load the machine I get
a Grub loader error. I have no earthly idea how the hell it can still be on
the hard drive when I re-partitioned and formatted it.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the Grub loader from the hard drive so that
I can have a completely clean WinXP machine?

Thanks.