C++ issues on RHEL3/FC-1

Greg Hosler greg at hosler.per.sg
Thu Apr 8 09:16:31 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I've got a large C++ application that compiles/runs just fine on RH7.3 - I'm in
the process of porting it to RHEL3, and I am having some issues.

My program has some usage of iostreams / fstream / etc C++ constructs.

Some of the questions I have come across are:

        - I noticed that there are 2 sets of C++ header files.
          one is "compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.123", and the
          other is "libstdc++-devel-3.2.3-24"

          Is there any rule of thumb as to which set of header files I should
          use ?

        - It seems that by default, libstdc++-devel-3.2.3-24 is being used.

          As I have a lot of pre ISO C99 constructs, this set of header files
          seems to be giving me fits. If I use -I /usr/lib/g++-3, most of my
          compilation errors go away (but leave me w/ link errors). Question
          is there a non-default c++ library that I need to specify ?

        - What are the implications, limitations, issues, with linking together
          object files created with -I /usr/lib/g++-3, and without (i.e. with
          "standard" g++ header files. i.e. should this work ? Is this known to
          not work ? etc.

any thoughts, or tips (or pointers) would be much appreciated.

thanks you, and best regards,

-Greg Hosler

   You can release software that's good, software that's inexpensive, or
   software that's available on time.  You can usually release software
   that has 2 of these 3 attributes -- but not all 3.
| Greg Hosler                                   greg at hosler.per.sg    |