Oracle 8i installation on RedHat Linux 7.3

Nitin Mehta nitinmehta at kappa.net.in
Thu Apr 8 12:29:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm having a tough time installing Oracle 8i Ent Ed on Redhat Linux 7.3.

At first it was giving me this error and nothing else :

"Initializing Java Virtual Machine from ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre. Please wait..."

Now, after I read many How-tos and did

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

its starts the installer, which runs for some time but always just vanishes after selecting

Typical Installation, processing gows upto 84% and then just....vanished.

What m I missing?

I've installed the following:

compat-glibc
compat-egcs
compat-libtdc++
compat-libs

from CD 2 of linux 7.3 (6.2 compatibility) as some How-tos suggested.

also installed jdk 1.1.8 from www.blackdown.org

now what do i do? please help me as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance...