pkginfo equivalent.

Peter Skensved peter at jay.phy.queensu.ca
Thu Apr 8 14:11:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:41:53PM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:19:35PM -0700, a s p a s i a wrote:
> > would `rpm -qa` show me all installs, in addition
> > to rpm packages?
>
> No.  rpm -qa will query the rpm database.  If the package was installed
> differently, then there won't be an entry
>
> > for example, if I want to find
> > out what has been installed, in terms of SW packages
> > in a linux host ....
> >
> > is there any other CLI that could list all the apps -
> > ie:  Veritas Foundation Suite, NetBackup, systems monitoring
> > applciations, etc. etc.
>
> tripwire or something like that.  If somebody manually copies a binary
> to /usr/bin, there's no way any cli utility other than a tripwire-like
> utility will find it.  That's true of every OS that I've worked on.
>
> --
> Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org
> Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

    Not entirely true - you could list all files not installed from rpm
by doing something like

find /bin -exec rpm -qif {} \; | grep "not owned"

Note that any configuration files which you have modified will be listed
as `not owned'

                                              peter

----

Peter Skensved                          Email : peter at SNO.Phy.QueensU.CA
Dept. of Physics,
Queen's University,
Kingston, Ontario,
Canada