Script to turn off unneeded services

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Apr 9 00:21:10 UTC 2004

At 18:13 4/8/2004, you wrote:
>So if I issue "chkconfig --add someservice" it will add according to
>runlevels listed in /etc/init.d/someservice header but if I issue
>chkconfig someservice on it will set someservice to 3,4+5.  Is this
>correct?

Yes.

>Interesting to note: "chkconfig --add ipop3" seems to be accepted at the
>command line (but accomplish nothing) while "chkconfig ipop3 on" works
>(after xinetd is restarted).

"chkconfig --add" is only intended to be run once, to create the necessary
symlinks and get the service recognized by the rest of the operating system
(especially the "chkconfig" and "service" commands). It will set the
service off or on at each runlevel depending on what the program's author
thought was desired. Running "chkconfig --add" more than once accomplishes
nothing.

"chkconfig service on" will not add or install the service. It will,
however, set it to "on" for xinetd-related services, and it will set it to
"on" in runlevels 3,4,5 (and "off" in the rest) if the service is not run
by xinetd. Why? Because these are the runlevels in which most people want
to run most services... it is merely providing you with a convenient
default. In effect, "chkconfig ipop3 on" is equivalent to "chkconfig
--levels 345 ipop3 on".

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com