OT: RH9 Apache 2.0 and Rewrite Engine

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Fri Apr 9 02:28:04 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Sorry if this is off topic. I am moving a server from RH7.3 to RH9.
Using Apache, I have some .htaccess files that under 1.3 used
Rewrite engine on and then some rewrite rules to redirect a connection
to port 443 from port 80.

This worked like a champ under 1.3 but as I am testing my stuff
with 2.0, I keep getting the following message:

/.htaccess: RewriteEngine not allowed here

I have dinked and dinked with the various AllowOverride and
Options statements but cant seem to get the correct syntax.

If anyone has some insight to what needs to be set, I'd appreciate
the answer! I've double checked and the context for RewriteEngine
says it can be in the .htaccess file.

Any help appreciated!

Mike