Changing IP and HOSTNAME on an existing RedHat system.

listhub at libros.andante.mn.org listhub at libros.andante.mn.org
Sat Apr 10 23:45:54 UTC 2004

Ok list.

One more question to help me with my LAN restructuring.  This is on a very old
system Red Hat 6.0

If I have an existing system with

hostname: something
IP: XXX.XXX.XXX.98

and I want to change it on the same LAN to

hostname: somethingelse
IP: XXX.XXX.XXX.101

What files to I need to alter?
Is there a tool to do this or is it manual edits?
Should I do this off the LAN, reconnect and then reboot?

I do not want to upgrade the system.  It does nothing but serve an obsolete
database and I do not want to migrate the data.  If I can just have it be
another hostname and IP on the existing LAN that will solve all problems.  In
fact, the hostname and IP I wish to change it too is for a system that died a
year ago so all machines on that LAN have a hosts entry for that IP and
sendmial is configured to send mail to it if it ever shows up.

Thanks for all the help RedHat gurus.

Peace
john
John N. Alegre                   o