RH 9 dual boot problem

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Mon Apr 12 19:48:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 02:36, Billy Davis wrote:
> I am trying to set up a dual boot RH 9 workstation.  I made the
> mistake of loading RH 9 first, and then loading Windows XP.
> Now, Windows ALWAYS boots, and I can only get RH to
> run by booting from a floppy.  When I installed RH, I set GRUB
> up to allow either Windows or RH to be selected, but Windows
> must have overwritten the MBR.  Is there an easy way to restore
> the RH boot record back into the MBR, other than reloading
> RH again??
>
> Thanks
> BDavis

Not really mate. Best resolution would be to reinstall - but you'd have
to install Windows first, THEN RH.

If you've got Partition Magic, well, that would be help - much easier to
deal with disk partitioning from the beginning. I generally prefer to
create my Win partitons then move them to the back of the disk so that
linux can have the beginning of the disk (for speed).
Another way, if you have two drives, is to install Win on the first, and
then linux on the second KEEPING the bootloader (lilo/grub) on the first
partition.

HTH

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services