Command-Line Perl

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Mon Apr 12 22:36:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 08:16, Rich Lichvar wrote:
> I need to either grab a command-line Perl module to go with the
> command-line Bastille script to harden a machine to be used as a
> firewall. Is there one that installs as an RPM from some where on the RH
> 9.0 source?

If you know what perl module you need to install, you can open a term
and invoke the perl CPAN shell with:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

...and then once you're at the cpan prompt, type:

install Whatever::Module

...which will then locate and download the module then compile it for
you. However, if you've not run CPAN before, you'll have to go through
the basic configuration of it once you fire it up the first time. You
need to also be su'd while in the term. It's actually quite easy once
you do it once or twice. Very easy to update all the outdated modules as
well - depending on your connectivity.

HTH

stephen kuhn - owner
==============================
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
The feeling persists that no one can simultaneously be a respectable
writer and understand how a refrigerator works, just as no gentleman
wears a brown suit in the city. Colleges may be to blame. English majors
are encouraged, I know, to hate chemistry and physics, and to be proud
because they are not dull and creepy and humorless and war-oriented like
the engineers across the quad. And our most impressive critics have
commonly been such English majors, and they are squeamish about
technology to this very day. So it is natural for them to despise
science fiction. -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr., "Science Fiction"