imap access

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Apr 15 11:21:34 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 11:06 pm, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I'd like to write a java applet that will allow users of my domain who
> aren't at my location to be able to check their email from off the
> website.

Why reinvent the wheel? There are a lot of webmail client that use IMAP.
Redhat ships with Squirrelmail. I like IMP from Horde. Unless if you do this
for fun.... :)

> I went into
> /etc/xinetd.d on our server computer into the files imap and imaps and
> changed the disabled option to no.  I need to know if there's anything
> else I need to do to make this work (besides call the ISP and ask them
> to add imap.espersunited.com to there nameservers)?

Yes, that'll be all you need. If the users have home directory with files in
in though, you may want to restrict the IMAP access on the client side to the
prefix ~/mail or ~/Mail, for example, so that the users don't see all the
files in the ~/.
I forgot to do that once, and I have a lot of files, some of them have big
sizes in my ~/, and my Kmail accessing IMAP nearly crashed, took forever to
recover and close it, then change the configuration to use prefix ~/mail

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy