FW: Samba browser fail - resolved (sort of)

Peter Smith pasmith at wbmpl.com.au
Sat Apr 17 07:55:13 UTC 2004

Response below:

NT4 machines.
>There is a Windows 2000 server supplying DHCP.
>A separate Linux box (with outsourced management) is the firewall and mail
server.
>There are 70-odd clients, mostly Windows.
>The main file server and the backup server run RH7.3.
>This configuration has been running well for 18 months.
>Then I replaced the 8-port IDE controller in the backup server with a 3Ware
12-port one, and had to reinstall RH7.3, with the result I am posting about.
>The disk with the previous installation is still accessible, and I have not
been able to see any discrepancies in the configuration. (Unmounting the
partitions with the previous OS does not help.)
>The other RH server is running samba without problems, again with no
significant configuration differences that I can see.

>Checking for nmbd:
>[root at backserv root]# ps -A | grep nmbd
> 5732 ?        00:00:00 nmbd
>[root at backserv root]# ps -ef | grep nmbd
>root      5732     1  0 Mar31 ?        00:00:00 nmbd -D
>root     22340 22290  0 08:21 pts/5    00:00:00 grep nmbd

>If you are telling me I have got the Windows network black magic all
screwed up - you may well be right :)

>Thanks for responding,
>Peter Smith

I thought I had sent this to the list, but it appears not.  Anyway, FYI and
to close the thread:

It seems it is a Windows problem, or a newbie problem ... I tried to be
cunning, with the usual result.

I have a limited time to work on the computer each day, so I started the
install on a fresh disk and then switched back to the previous configuration
so the machine could do its night's work.

It appears that this confuses the hell out of the Win NT SMB system which
kicked me out of the domain.

Many thanks for the help,
Peter