set limits for memory usage

Ladinig Rudolf r.ladinig at aon.at
Sat Apr 17 16:28:45 UTC 2004

Hello,

Some days ago, when i visited Website www.hsecomputers.de and searched
at this website for a certain product (asante), the browser didn't load
for a long time and then all applications freezed. Only thing I could do
  was rebooting my linux box.

When I searched for the reasons for this, I found that the browser
(mozilla, firefox or netscape) was using more and more memory, until the
whole physical and swap memory was used by the browser. Then the OS was
unable to react to a user's input.

My question: I didn't find any possibility to limit the memory a single
  application or a single user can use. I'm sure, a multitasking and
multiuser OS has this capability.
Can anybody help me?

RLadi