fetchmail bounces

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 19 00:35:48 UTC 2004

I haven't worried about these as yet, but it's time I look at some of
the error messages and clean them up.

This is the scenario (RH9 all updates):

I use sendmail to send mail VIA my ISP mail server (masquerade).
I use fetchmail in a 15 minute CRON job to fetch new mail from my ISP
mail server.

All mail for my sub domain gets dumped into one account on my ISP, where
my mail system then distributes it once it hits my server (fetchmail
multi-drop).

Lately I've been getting these:

... while talking to mail.m.iinet.net.au.:

<<< 553 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1)
501 5.6.0 Data format error
550 5.1.1 <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON at server>... User unknown

I THINK this is what happens when I get SPAM addressed to a wrong user
name here locally (it only seems to happen with spam). Fetchmail while
collecting from my ISP, will attempt to bounce the message. This used to
work, but I think my ISP has become tighter with security, and now all
domain senders must resolve (scary it didn't matter before hey?).

Anyway, while sending via sendmail, all my addresses (*@localhost) seem
to be correctly masqueraded to *@my.resolvable.domain. However, it looks
like when fetchmail bounces a message back via mail.m.iinet.net.au (my
ISP mail server), it does NOT masquerade the domain, resulting in the
ISP bouncing fetchmail bounces back to me with the above error.

The questions I have are thus:

1> Is this a sendmail, fetchmail or procmail setting that I can easily
resolve?

2> Is there a way I can turn off the bounces with sendmail, fetchmail,
or procmail settings PROVIDED this is netiquette? What I mean is turning
of the bounces completely will obviously stop bounces back to legitimate
people who may think they have a correct e-mail address at my sub
domain, meaning they will never know they have things wrong. What is the
correct procedure anyway? Bouncing non-existent users or not?

3> Any other ways to stop this happening?

More info easily available (config files etc.), but I'm not going to
clog the list just yet.

Regards,
Ed.