How to setup smtp auth

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Mon Apr 19 17:44:56 UTC 2004

> At 07:53 4/16/2004, you wrote:
>>On Friday 16 April 2004 09:22 am, Chris Mason wrote:
>> > I have a redhat 9 server. I want to faciliate our zaurus pda users on
>> WiFi
>> > hotspots so I need to allow roaming users to access smtp. To this end
>> > need to setup auth to prevent spammers.
>>
>>I followed this and have it running in short time:
>>
>>http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.php
>>
>>This is written by Rodolfo Pais, our own list member.
>
> Thanks for the reference. FYI, the last name is "Paiz" but pronouned
> "pice"
> as in "spice" or "nice".
>
> If I may make a small request, it is better to point people to this URL:
>
> http://www.simpaticus.com/linux
>
> That way they can see on arrival that there are three other documents on
> the site which I am working to improve, and hopefully then they will get
> more benefit out of Simpaticus. I have found from the logs that many
> people
> who are pointed directly to the SMTP AUTH page do not explore, and thus
> they do not realize that there are other documents on the site.
>
> Cheers!
>

> --
> Rodolfo J. Paiz
> rpaiz at simpaticus.com
> http://www.simpaticus.com

Something that I've run into that you may wish to incorporate into your
HowTo are instructions to fix the mess created after installing an openssl
upgrade.

On my Fedora system the openssl rpm will overwrite the ca-bundle.crt file.
 This wipes out my TLS since I use locally signed cert's that I've added
to the standard ca-bundle.crt file.

The smtp file in /etc/pam.d disappears and is replaced with a postfix-smtp
file.  I have to recreate the smtp file as well as the Sendmail.conf file
in /usr/lib/sasl.  That file is just gone.

As soon as someone complains that their mail client won't send but does
receive mail I know exactly what has happened!

Once I've added the files back I'm in business with SSL enabled
connections and relaying based on auth again.

Gerry