NIS authentication problems

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:34:25 UTC 2004

On Apr 19, 2004, at 7:49 PM, Goncalo Pedro wrote:

> I am having trouble setting up a nis client.

What OS is the client running?  I had the same problems authenticating
NIS clients running Mac OS X.2 off of a RH7.3 server.  The problem was
that the password crypts were MD5 (you can tell because they start with
'$1$'), which Jaguar didn't support out of the box.  Configuring the
NIS server to use DES (with the authconfig utility) solved my problem
(after making everyone re-encrypt their password- ugh!).

HTH,
Jurvis LaSalle