VMWare on Red Hat

Thomas Fortner thomas.fortner at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 09:38:12 UTC 2004

I'm looking for experiences (for or against) running multiple/mixed
RedHat and Windoze as "Guest Operating Systems" in a VMWare server
environment.

Hi Steve,

I use both VMWare and Win4Lin. Both work well and make Windows more
stable and secure than it could ever be on its own. The reason I run
both is because I have one application that requires Unicode to work
properly, and Win4Lin only runs Win9x or WinMe. VMWare allows me to run
Win2K, Win9x and DOS on Red Hat 9 without the virus vulnerability and
constant stability problems of Windows alone.

The reason I use both is that Win4Lin has very modest memory and CPU
requirements.On the other hand, VMWare need 1GB of RAM to provide
adequate performance. On an XTerm server running a VMWare server, count
on needing 4 GB of RAM to support 40 users.

So, if you don't need Unicode, DOS, Win3.x, or BSD UNIX, Win4Lin costs
less in software license and hardware. VMWare provides support for all
the above very reliably, but the cost is more RAM and faster CPUs.
Either are a good choice for Windows legacy support.

You can check out Win4Lin at www.netraverse.com. VMWare can be seen at
www.vmware.com.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner at sbcglobal.net
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23