VMWare and RedHat

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Apr 22 01:22:34 UTC 2004

On April 20, 2004 09:36 am, Stamper, Steve wrote:
> I'm looking for experiences (for or against) running multiple/mixed RedHat
> and Windoze as "Guest Operating Systems" in a VMWare server environment.

Hi,
I use RH9 at work with VMware 4 and w2k as a guest. It works well most of the
time but there are some issues with it:
1) have to renice (via script) as vmware wants to run at -19
2) I cannot lock RH desktop after vmware has been running for a day or so.
Even stopping vmware does not fix it. This may be a KDE or RH issue but there
was a previous post that IIRC some users were having this prob with GNOME as
well (so probably not a kde specific issue).
3) sound doesn't work, but for me that's ok.
4) had to disable cd & floppy in VMware as they were always causing umount
conflicts etc. I can simply enable them if needed.

Overall it is a good thing because it allows me to use RH at work without
compatability issues with the mainstream, however, if I could not use it,
maybe a second box instead, I would be happier.

I think it is a great learning tool, at work a few of the windows guys are
using it to try fedora:)

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce