Disable X-Windows on Boot

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 13:35:33 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 Apr 2004 2:33 pm, Rich Lichvar wrote:
> How do I disable X-Windows at boot time? I want to be able to start
> X-Windows from the command line rather than have it start automatically
> at boot.
>
> RichLich

Hi Rich

There is I believe a GUI in control-panel (amongst others) to do this for you,
but the easiest way is to log in as root and edit the file /etc/inittab.
Look for the line

id:5:initdefault:

and change the 5 to a 3.  The comments in the file tell you what the various
levels do, but basically you only need to know about 1, 3 and 5.  0 and 6 are
special and should never be called directly anyway.

--
Gary Stainburn