MS Services for UNIX 3.5

Jeff Graves jeff at image-src.com
Fri Apr 23 14:46:23 UTC 2004

Wanted to drop an email to the list to see if anyone could help me out.
I downloaded SFU 3.5 the other day in the hopes that I could use the NFS
Server included to allow access to linux clients. Running Windows 2000
Adv Srv with AD Native and Fedora Core 1. I've downloaded, installed and
configured SFU for passwd-file PCNFS type User Name Mapping and it is
properly mapping linux and windows user accounts. I cannot however mount
any shares. I get a RPC timeout on the linux box while the Event Viewer
on the windows machine says mount successful. If I send a rpcinfo
broadcast message from the linux box, the windows server does not
respond, however querying the host using rpcinfo -p <windows_machine>
shows all of the processes running. If I try a rpcinfo broadcast from
the windows machine it sees itself and using the rpcinfo -p
<linux_machine> also sees the portmapper service. I have tried
everything in the help documents, I even installed SFU on my XP
professional machine and mapped local user accounts (instead of domain
accounts) all with the same results - RPC timeout. I tried using a RH9
client and got the same timeout message. I also tried every mount option
in the world - nfsvers/hard/soft/rsize/wsize/nolock/noac and either got
the timeout message or Server could not decode arguments message.
Mounting from the XP box to the windows 2k box works. Does anyone have
an suggestions or help to offer getting SFU 3.5 talking to FC1? Or,
better yet, can someone recommend a low cost NFS server solution for
windows that has the user name mapping functionality with an NFS server?

Thanks,

Jeff Graves, MCP
Customer Support Engineer
Image Source, Inc.