lograte rotating logs at 4:02am. why not at 12:00am?

Javier Gostling jgd at samwan.homeip.net
Fri Apr 23 19:16:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:03:16PM -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> my question is: why are they not starting at 12am and how can i adjust
> this?

The reason is quite simply Daylight Saving Time. If you rotate at midnight,
as someone where I work decided before I came in, you face the following
issues when time changes:

1. When skipping from 00:00 to 01:00, if cron doesn't wake before the clock
shift, the log rotation will not occur.

2. When skipping back from 00:00 to 23:00, if cron wakes before the clock
shift, the log will be rotated twice.

I have seen both issues happen. To avoid both problems, rotate after 01:00
and before 23:00.

heers,
--
Javier Gostling D.