upgrading drive problems

Eric Whitcombe ericw200 at covad.net
Fri Apr 23 21:26:54 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reuben D. Budiardja" <techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu>
To: <linux at rhobson.com>; "General Red Hat Linux discussion list"
<redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: upgrading drive problems

> On Friday 23 April 2004 03:19 pm, Richard F. Hobson wrote:
> > I am upgrading the HDD on my RH9 box.  I used Drive Image 2002 to clone
> > the drive (disk-to-disk copy in their terminology).  The copy appeared
> > to go well, the two partitions and unpartitioned swap space were
> > recognized correctly on my old drive  and each partition appeared to
> > copy correctly.  (source was master and new drive-destination was
> > slave).  I removed the original drive and setup the new one a master and
> > upon booting got the message "operating system not present".
>
> It may copy the partitions correctly but not the MBR, thus you have no
> bootloader to load the operating system.

I was going mention this. Although it is very suspicious that the
"Drive-To-Drive Copy" option didn't also copy the MBR. That's what those
utilities are supposed to do so the novice customer can effortlessly use the
drive the company is selling in any a way on their system - not only as a
data drive but to replace the boot drive.

But then again I have had problems with some of Western Digital's versions
of such utilities. I had to use another utility (on the same install disc)
that updates MBR's (and has the option to store  the old one in case the
update doesn't work) That was necessary for replacing a Windows NT boot
drive when I bought a new drive to make a dual boot system with RH9. Windows
writes a GUID to the MBR to try and preserve the drive letter when drives
are added/removed from the system. Unfortunately it forced the old boot
drive to always be "C:" which screwed things up for the page file. The
utility whic updated the MBR did the trick. Perhaps your drive has this
abitlity)

Eric W
_End_