memory leak

cs at zip.com.au cs at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 25 06:35:35 UTC 2004

On 23:49 24 Apr 2004, Bill McCormick <wpmccormick at covad.net> wrote:
[...]
| >So don't worry about it - it's normal.
| Thanks Cameron, very helpful.
|
| I was having sudden (maybe will again) problems with my RAM starved
| system until I gave it more RAM; I went from 128M to 1Gig+128M. When I
| was skating by with 128M, the free RAM got to be very low and programs
| as varied as squid, fetchmail and telnet would no longer function. This
| never seemed to be a problem until what seemed like "all of a sudden."

Did you have any swap?

| I'm now working with a theory that the problem is (was?) due to
| incorrectly installing/compiling some programs (BDB without a the
| patches maybe.) We'll see in a week or so when my free RAM gets to some
| low point.

Hmm. I wouldn't expect a single bad program to scuttle everything else.

If it fails again, post greater detail (and keep the machine up so
diagnostics can be run on it over the next few days while it's sick).

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

There's no need to worry about death, it will not happen in your lifetime.
        - Raymond Smullyan