memory leak

Bill McCormick wpmccormick at covad.net
Sun Apr 25 21:10:39 UTC 2004

cs at zip.com.au wrote:

>On 23:49 24 Apr 2004, Bill McCormick <wpmccormick at covad.net> wrote:
>[...]
>| >So don't worry about it - it's normal.
>| Thanks Cameron, very helpful.
>|
>| I was having sudden (maybe will again) problems with my RAM starved
>| system until I gave it more RAM; I went from 128M to 1Gig+128M. When I
>| was skating by with 128M, the free RAM got to be very low and programs
>| as varied as squid, fetchmail and telnet would no longer function. This
>| never seemed to be a problem until what seemed like "all of a sudden."
>
>Did you have any swap?

Good question, I can't remember now.

>| I'm now working with a theory that the problem is (was?) due to
>| incorrectly installing/compiling some programs (BDB without a the
>| patches maybe.) We'll see in a week or so when my free RAM gets to some
>| low point.
>
>Hmm. I wouldn't expect a single bad program to scuttle everything else.

Everything was not scuttled. For instance, I could ssh in but not get
out using anything. So it actually seemed like it could be a network
card problem, but it also seemed reasonable that I was too lite on RAM.
So far more RAM seems to have resolved the problems I was having.

>If it fails again, post greater detail (and keep the machine up so
>diagnostics can be run on it over the next few days while it's sick).
>
>Cheers,

Thanks,

Bill