[rant]Re: redhat-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 46

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon Apr 26 04:44:09 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 25, Hitman did say:

> To: redhat-list at redhat.com
> From: Hitman <hitman0810 at houston.rr.com>
> Date: 25 Apr 2004 18:54:50 -0400
> Subject: Re: redhat-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 46
>
> On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 12:00, redhat-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

At first I was irritated at the idea that someone would quote the entire
digest in a reply to the list. Then I remembered that some people don't
realize their mail client is quoting the whole digest and maybe, just
didn't think to trim the quote down to the part they were replying to.

So I tried to find the new content.

But I couldn't.

|      ---   ---
|      <o>   <o>
|          ^
|        /---\    < ARRRGH >
|        \___/

Yet I still found it hard to believe anyone would feed an entire digest
back to the list without adding, at least SOME, content...

So I started a reply from pine which prepended "> " to every quoted line
including the quoted headers. Then since my copy of pine is configured
to use vim for my composer, I could use the following two quoted :commands
(with quoted result status lines) to filter out everything that Hitman's
post was only quoting thus I would finally find the new content...

:1,$s/^> >.*$/!/
1684 substitutions on 1684 lines
1684 fewer lines

Hmmnnn well it looks like there wasn't any new content from Hitman in
the entire message. So why is he stuffing my mailbox with the digest?
If I want the digest, I'll subscribe to it.

I suppose it could be a typo, you know, an unfinished reply that got
away...  But I think I've seen this before from Hitman. I can't be
sure though because I didn't save it. <sigh>

Please mister Hitman, try not to do this to the list.